Fried Radish Cake (Char Chai Tau Kueh)

Tuesday, May 27, 2008





Basically there are many version of names for this dish. When I was small, I used to call it Char Chai Tau Kueh. When I was studying in KL, I heard people calling this dish Char Lou Bak Kou or Char Kuay Kak. So, whichever u prefer to call it, it is still the same dish. I used to think that Char Chai Tau Kueh consist of radish, but I guess that it used to be one of the main ingredients in this dish in the past but nowadays, due to the economical reasons, radish it is rarely or no longer found as part of the ingredients in this dish. Even the one I made today is without radish. I got this recipe from Pigpigcorner and made some modifications myself by adding in dried shrimps in my Kueh and gave the spring onions a miss since I am never a lover of spring onions.

Ingredients

Chai Tau Kueh
1 cup rice flour
2/3 cup cold water
1 1/3 cup hot water
100 dried shrimps, soaked and chopped coarsely, sauteed till fragrant

Seasonings
Salt
Sugar
Pepper
Sesame oil

For frying a plate
1 plate of cubed Chai Tau Kueh
1 handful taugeh
2 stalks spring onions / chives (optional)
1 egg
1 tbs garlic, chopped
1 tbs chai poh
Chilli sauce/ chilli oil (optional)
Light soya sauce
Dark soya sauce
Pepper


Methods

  1. To make Chai Tau Kueh : Mixed well all the ingredients and pour into a pan. Steam at high heat for 30 -45 minutes.
  2. To fry one serving: Using a non-stick pan, heat 1 tsp of oil and fry Chai Tau Kueh till fragrant and charred.
  3. Heat 1 tsp of oil, add chopped garlic and fry until fragrant before adding the chilli.
  4. Add the chai poh and saute all ingredients till well mixed.
  5. Add in pan fried Chai Tau Kueh and dark soya sauce.
  6. Once well mixed, break an egg into it and scramble the egg.
  7. Add in taugeh and stir fry (do not over cook), light soya sauce and pepper to taste.
  8. Dish out and sprinkle with some fried dried shrimps and spring onions.
  9. Serve will its piping hot.

Comments: Its better to prepare the Chai Tau Kueh overnight before frying the dish. I made mine all at one time, I felt that my Chai Tau Kueh is still a bit damp and not well formed enough. Therefore, I couldn't maintain the cube form when frying the dish.




0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP